Job situation in NW

General chit chat.
Jay

Job situation in NW

Post by Jay »

Doesn’t seem to be to much discussion in the states and Canada areas of forum.I do see some although very little.How is employment in the NW in Trumps America?

JimEE

Re: Job situation in NW

Post by JimEE »

I haven't been looking for a new job myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but the job situation seems to be fairly decent in the major metro areas right now. Of course, that probably depends on the job sector, whether you want to live in the city, or are willing to live further out and commute, or want to avoid the big cities.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/wa ... attle/jobs
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/or ... tland/jobs
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/idaho/boise/jobs

Jay

Post by Jay »

I’m a truck driver but in the LTL industry.Not OTR.Home everyday.Im sure they have jobs for both.Is migration still strong or even moderate since HAC passed away?Thanks for you reply and information

andydonner
Site Admin

Post by andydonner »

Jobs themselves are more than plentiful, though the competition is about what you would expect. This means that you have to hustle just as much as you would anywhere else and expect this going in to the experience. First and foremost, if you're going to apply to a particular job, make sure you have the skills to do that job well enough that you stand a chance at getting hired.

I've known a few truckers in my time here and LTL jobs are plentiful - especially in the larger areas with lots of freight coming through on a regular basis. There are plenty of other opportunities in the trucking industry all over the place, but do take Jim's comments to heart.

As always, migration promises continue to come in. The Party has learned that we don't count our chickens before they hatch in this regard. As stated, our main goal right now is getting people in the HQ area around Puget Sound since that's where we need the most help.
A. W. Donner

Jay

Post by Jay »

Well the reality is that unless there is a radical change in my life I’m applying for driving jobs,ANY kind hopefully LTL home everyday.The BIG reason is just my wife and I migrating.She sees what’s going on but is a naysayer of a lot of things.Simply of the mindset of “ what can one person do?”I already convinced her to take a vacation out to the homeland.This is obviously my scouting trip this year.Will need to know the best places to check out in Washington,Oregon,& Idaho when the time comes.

andydonner
Site Admin

Post by andydonner »

If the job is your main concern in picking a location, then you'll want an industry contact and/or authoritative source to give you a list of ideal locations. Lots of websites do cost of living comparisons between locations and generic job search websites can give you an idea of what you would make in an area. As always, I recommend starting with the larger areas first since that is where most opportunities are to be found. Right now, the only Trucker I'm in contact with is OTR, so you'll have to do the leg work yourself.

Best of luck.
A. W. Donner

JupiterRising

Post by JupiterRising »

I work in the trucking industry. The LTL Business is currently pretty slow, but UPS freight in Portland is hiring feeder drivers because of retirement and some new business from the Amazon DC that opened in Troutdale. I've been told that the normal 5 years of scraps before getting a feeder truck position doesn't apply right now. Six of our drivers have made the move in the last two months.

I don't know how much experience they are requiring.
“Being prepared to die is one of the great secrets of living.”

~ George Lincoln Rockwell

mountainman

Post by mountainman »

Here in Western Montana, jobs have always been a little scarce, but the standard of living is great, IMO. In the last few years there has been a shortage of people in the trades. One way to get a picture of job markets is to look at the local Craigslist ads https://missoula.craigslist.org/d/jobs/search/jjj Although most don't disclose the pay, at least you can see which occupations are most in demand.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Thank you for the response.I do have 25 yrs driving experience so that’s not a problem.LTL is slow everywhere.The Trades I’ve heard are in high demand everywhere.

mountainman

Post by mountainman »

You could buy a small truck and go into business for yourself. I've met guys with 1 ton trucks who buy shipping containers in Seattle and sell them in Idaho and Montana. Also a tow truck service would be an idea that could be incorporated into this strategy. A roll off bed truck can deliver 20' containers when not towing broken down cars.