All Things for Scouting Trips

General chit chat.

All Things for Scouting Trips

Postby Donjo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:06 am

Hey everyone, hope y'all are well. A little bit of context for you: I'm a young prospective migrant from Texas looking for a place to start my life in the homeland. I've joined the Army as a 68W (medic) so I will be working as an EMT-B, and later I hope to go to be a firefighter. I'm hoping to settle somewhere in north Idaho, but I'll take anywhere in Idaho really and *maybe* western Washington. Probably around this time next year I plan to make my scouting trip so do y'all have any advice? Such as where I should look (cheap areas because I'm not going to be making much for a while), how long I should look to get a good impression of the area, that kind of thing. Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!
Donjo

Re: All Things for Scouting Trips

Postby andydonner » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Welcome!

Could you clarify you situation? If you've joined the Army, then aren't you required to go pretty much anywhere they tell you? And I hate to be this way, but until you're self-supporting and can make long-term decisions without the Army deploying you anywhere and everywhere, isn't it a bit hard to settle anywhere? And while I'm asking questions, did you mean to say "... and *maybe* Eastern Washington" since you're thinking about Idaho?

The Party has made the decision to ask everyone interested in Migration to consider the HQ area (in and around Puget Sound) first and foremost since we need help here and now. We do understand that reality takes over at some point and people need to go where they personally have the best chance to prosper individually. Do you know exactly what you plan to do for work once you do Come Home?
A. W. Donner
andydonner
Site Admin

Postby Donjo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:33 pm

andydonner wrote:Welcome!

Could you clarify you situation? If you've joined the Army, then aren't you required to go pretty much anywhere they tell you? And I hate to be this way, but until you're self-supporting and can make long-term decisions without the Army deploying you anywhere and everywhere, isn't it a bit hard to settle anywhere? And while I'm asking questions, did you mean to say "... and *maybe* Eastern Washington" since you're thinking about Idaho?

The Party has made the decision to ask everyone interested in Migration to consider the HQ area (in and around Puget Sound) first and foremost since we need help here and now. We do understand that reality takes over at some point and people need to go where they personally have the best chance to prosper individually. Do you know exactly what you plan to do for work once you do Come Home?

Good idea because I left some stuff out. I chose the Reserves specifically so it would be part-time. Granted, if they still decide to deploy me for whatever (although hopefully it'll be less likely with the Reserves), then I'm SOL until I return. As for the Washington thing, yes I meant to put that because I figured that would be the cheaper side of the state if I had to use it as a last resort. I'll be working as an EMT-Basic (low wage ~25 - 30g) for a while until I can get my Paramedic certificate (probably a year after my move), then I'll be making decent money (~45 - 50g). I would much prefer Idaho but if I'm badly needed in the Puget Sound area, then I don't mind checking it out, although I got the impression that it's pretty expensive and idk if I could afford that initially unless you know of some affordable spots in the area. Also, this will be my first move out of Texas and on my own so pardon me if I come off as naive, because I am about a lot of things.
Donjo

Postby andydonner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:49 am

If you don't have a marketable skill right this instant, then Western Washington genuinely may not be for you. That said, you might consider looking at various websites (which are Googleable) that do cost of living comparisons with other locations. Your main issue - especially in our neck of the woods - would be rent. It would also be good to make some effort to line up work in your intended destination prior to Coming Home, but that may not be possible with no valuable skill to leverage.

Suggestion, though it's hard to stomach: If you're looking to make a Scouting Trip in a year, keep up with your day job and reserve requirements and then spend at least a couple nights a week learning another skill of some sort. At the very least you'll have something to fall back on and double your chances of success when you do start the Migration process.
A. W. Donner
andydonner
Site Admin

Postby desertguide » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Come on down to southern Idaho if I remember correctly there's an EMT position in Twin Falls.
desertguide

Return to General Discussions