Gun laws?

This section is for Washington Specific discussions.

Gun laws?

Postby Tyr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Having newly arrived in Washington I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how gun shows up here work? I spoke to someone today and they told me they thought there was some new (bullshit!!) law coming into affect soon regarding background checks on person-to-person sales. Being from Texas I find this a bit unsettling but will deal with it regardless (as if I have a choice.lol). Thanks for your input. Oh, and it is BEAUTIFUL up here!!!
Tyr

Re: Gun laws?

Postby andydonner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Welcome Home, comrade! Short answer: Yes, our election here passed state initiative 594 which requires background checks on all firearm transfers in the state. Previously, it was just at firearm stores like everywhere else. It's lame, yeah, but it is what it is. As for gun shows, well, you're just going to have to find one and check it out. Firearm stores always have booths at these things and I'm sure some enterprising business owner with the proper licensing will be on hand to perform the checks at a reasonable price. The law is dumb, yeah, but that's democracy for you.
A. W. Donner
Facebook
Twitter
andydonner
Site Admin

Postby Tyr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:34 am

Right on bruder. Thanks for the input. I went to Wally World today and got some ammo and it wasn't a hassle. At least that went easy.
Tyr

Postby MAC » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:44 am

I can say this about I594: Most private sellers are not going to follow it. It has some problems in the way it was written and will be challenged in the courts. The main problem is the requirement for background checks on ALL transfers, not just transfer of ownership but also for loaning a firearm. Dealers cannot use the NICS system for background checks on anything other than permanent transfer of ownership. The police can, but they can't keep up with the demand if people actually followed the law. Police also don't want to deal with it because it creates felons out of everyone who violates the law twice. I'm not entirely sure now firearm sales will work at the gun shows, but if you surf around waguns.org or northwestfirearms.com I'll bet you won't be finding people going to dealers or the police to sell their private property. :o
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
MAC
Site Admin

Postby PaulReverre » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for the pointer, MAC. I was going to go sell one of mine the other day to a dealer but he started going the way of paperwork and I politely declined. I have a hard and fast rule that I will follow until the wheels fall off. I don't want those bastards in my life and I won't let 'em be in it. It's just none of their business, ya know? Anyway, again, thanks. I'll check those sites out. Definitely sounds like a resource worth using.
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson
PaulReverre

Postby MAC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:52 pm

PaulReverre wrote:Thanks for the pointer, MAC. I was going to go sell one of mine the other day to a dealer but he started going the way of paperwork and I politely declined. I have a hard and fast rule that I will follow until the wheels fall off. I don't want those bastards in my life and I won't let 'em be in it. It's just none of their business, ya know? Anyway, again, thanks. I'll check those sites out. Definitely sounds like a resource worth using.

By law a licensed dealer must record who he is receiving a firearm from. The minimum requirements are first and last name and address if the person isn't a licensee. Usually dealers will get a photo copy of the driver's license and use that to enter all the info including the ID info into their bound books.
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
MAC
Site Admin

Return to Washington