Deciding on a new Northwest home

This section is for Washington Specific discussions.

Deciding on a new Northwest home

Postby FreeMyLand » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

New member here with a few questions about a possible Northwest migration. We are currently in TX and we are trying to make plans for a relocation. Currently we are thinking of the Spokane, WA area. We would prefer a more remote area in ID, but we have a chance to remain with the same company and transfer (when an opening occurs) to the Spokane area. We have moved the family a lot over the last 10 years and we are hoping to make one final move. I am posting this thread in the general area as opposed to a state specific sub forum, because we are considering both eastern Washington and western Idaho.

My only concern about WA is I have seen some demographic maps that look less than favorable in regards to percentage of whites in many of the counties of WA. Originally coming from a remote New England area, I have been spoiled with living in a 98%+ white demographic area. My research seems to indicate that Lincoln county, west of Spokane would be a good fit with the county being 92%+ white (at least from the data that I have looked at). It appears that there might be areas of Idaho that may be feasible in commuting to Spokane, but I am not sure about the geography of that area of Idaho.

One thing I did not like about New England was that we had lived in a snow belt and faced brutal winters that seemed to last for half the year - which made for a very short growing season. Livestock were also difficult to keep due to the temperature extremes (we would have weeks where every morning while trying to scrape ice off our trucks it was actually -20 degrees Fahrenheit without the wind chill factor).

From what I understand eastern Washington is drier and can be almost desert like in some areas. Although I do like low humidity, I would like to prevent locating to an area that has issues with drought (like we are having here in TX), water restrictions and water rights issues.

Can anyone recommend an area that:
1. Would be commutable to Spokane (1 hour or less would be preferred)
2. Has low cost acreage and houses (we are hoping to purchase 25+ acres, with 40+ acres being preferred. We would like to keep total cost for house and land to $250K or less)
3. Has a good climate for agriculture and raising livestock. I would prefer green pasture with good trees for privacy and heat
4. Little to no issues with drought or water rights
5. And most importantly an area that is 95%+ white in demographics

I'm not sure if such a place exists that would be within commuting distance to Spokane, either in western Idaho or Washington. We are not concerned with the school system because we currently home school and plan on continuing to do so.

I have done some research on the area, but without having a chance to visit yet, I am hoping someone here would have an inside scoop or first hand knowledge that could help direct us on where to focus on. I understand that homeschooling is easier in Idaho than in Washington. I also get the impression that Idaho would have a more favorable political climate.

I have thought about a Northwest migration for many years. For some reason I was always trying to find an alternative, because I refused to believe that the country was so far gone - and sometimes felt running to the northwest would be tucking tail and running. After moving to TX, I now have learned how bad off we really are. From listening to the Radio Free Northwest podcasts (which are excellent), I think I have finally convinced myself that a Northwest migration is the only way to safeguard my children and future generations. I hope these podcasts continue because it is an excellent way to spread the message (it even got through my thick skull). It would be nice if a version of the podcast (even if it would need to be toned down a bit) would be able to air weekly on something like Republic Broadcasting or the Micro Effect or other radio network - in order to increase the audience it can reach. But that is a different topic. I just wanted to express my appreciation for everyone's hard work and commitment, without which I would have not been considering a Northwest migration.

Thanks for any assistance.
FreeMyLand

Re: Deciding on a new Northwest home

Postby MAC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm

You're asking for a lot in land, for anywhere in the US. Your best cattle land will be in Montana, there's plenty of range land with lots of acres of grasses. In Washington there is lots of affordable land, but it's mostly in smaller plots (~ 20 acre) and not always in areas with good grass, especially if you're looking at eastern WA. West of the Cascades and especially on the Olympic Peninsula there is lots of good grazing land in sufficient plots but it's not cheap. Also you won't find large acreage plots close to the big cities, for those you really have to get out there.

As far as demographics goes while overall the Spokane area is only 92% white (compared to only 60 something for anywhere in TX) it's all about neighborhoods. Some areas in Spokane are all white, some areas are heavily mud, particularly around the military bases. But most of the rural towns around there are probably above the 95% white level until you get around orchard land, then you get into a bunch of beaners.

The Pullman area while a bit further away from Spokane you may find what you're looking for, though the mud level may be higher because of the universities there. The Palouse is an incredible agricultural heaven with a massive layer of fertile top soil. Great for grass crops or cattle though the tree coverage isn't the best. I'm sure with enough looking you could probably find what you're looking for between there and Spokane or you could look in the Olympic Peninsula for land. It might be more expensive and a little farther out from society but it will be whiter and better for mixed farms.
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
MAC
Site Admin

Postby FreeMyLand » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you for your input.

Do you have any knowledge/input on western Idaho vs eastern Washington about an hour or so outside of Spokane? For Idaho, I guess that would put me outside of Post Falls, or north near Hauser, ID. Hopefully, someone here is familiar with these areas (it would be great if some other refugees are located there as well).

For Washington, I will look into the Pullman area, though Pullman itself looks to be a bit far for a commute (seems to be more like 1.5 hours). I am hoping that somewhere between Spokane and Pullman would be a good area as well (for instance somewhere near 195/271)? I really need to find some good topo maps so that I can get a better idea of what these particular areas are like, as far as elevations and terrain go. Thank you for the lead.

The first step for me, I guess would be to try to resolve the eastern WA vs western ID question first. I am assuming that the politics of Idaho would be preferable and less restrictive (similar to what I was used to before moving to TX). Do you have any recommendations for western Idaho - or is going in that direction not going to give me what I am looking for geographically?

Thanks again for any help. I have never been to the northwest (one of the only regions I have not traveled to in the US). I would like to try to get some good first hand opinions, and then take a trip to investigate further. The area seems so large - that I am having a tough time getting a good handle on where to focus my searches.
FreeMyLand

Postby TheWhiteHand » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Idaho winters at higher elevations are really brutal. It's more temperate by the coast, but it's not TX and you will have winter anywhere in the NW. Like the rest of the country some of ID and MT are no longer 95+% white. Before Coming Home I wondered what O. C. Oglevy could possibly have to do in ID. I wonder no longer.

If you're serious about coming there is assistance. If you're employer will relocate you, that simplifies things.
TheWhiteHand

Postby KateBarker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:52 pm

FreeMyLand wrote:Can anyone recommend an area that:
1. Would be commutable to Spokane (1 hour or less would be preferred)
2. Has low cost acreage and houses (we are hoping to purchase 25+ acres, with 40+ acres being preferred. We would like to keep total cost for house and land to $250K or less)
3. Has a good climate for agriculture and raising livestock. I would prefer green pasture with good trees for privacy and heat
4. Little to no issues with drought or water rights
5. And most importantly an area that is 95%+ white in demographics

Western Idaho is nice, but there are also great places in Northeast Washington that will probably cost you less. I found a livable manufactured home on 23 acres in Valley, WA for $140,000. Check it out on Zillow.com: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3405-Long-Prairie-Rd-Valley-WA-99181/108186927_zpid/. The area between Loon Lake and Hunters in Washington has lots of affordable, lush, beautiful land, but beware of lowlands because of seasonal flooding.

The land between Hwy 2 and Hwy 395 north of Spokane and south of Chewelah offers many possibilities. Zillow is a great place to explore because you can plug in a city (like Spokane) as your starting point, and then drag the map to surrounding areas and see places for sale plotted on a map with criteria you specify.

I live in Western Washington now, but lived in the Spokane area for about 10 years before moving here. Post Falls in Idaho and the Deer Park/Clayton or Cheney (27 acres for $175,000 here: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15106-S-Granite-Lake-Rd-Cheney-WA-99004/2146096744_zpid/) areas in Washington would be great places to look.
KateBarker
Volunteer

Postby FreeMyLand » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:57 am

KateBarker wrote:Western Idaho is nice, but there are also great places in Northeast Washington that will probably cost you less. I found a livable manufactured home on 23 acres in Valley, WA for $140,000. Check it out on Zillow.com: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3405-Long-Prairie-Rd-Valley-WA-99181/108186927_zpid/. The area between Loon Lake and Hunters in Washington has lots of affordable, lush, beautiful land, but beware of lowlands because of seasonal flooding.

The land between Hwy 2 and Hwy 395 north of Spokane and south of Chewelah offers many possibilities. Zillow is a great place to explore because you can plug in a city (like Spokane) as your starting point, and then drag the map to surrounding areas and see places for sale plotted on a map with criteria you specify.

I live in Western Washington now, but lived in the Spokane area for about 10 years before moving here. Post Falls in Idaho and the Deer Park/Clayton or Cheney (27 acres for $175,000 here: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15106-S-Granite-Lake-Rd-Cheney-WA-99004/2146096744_zpid/) areas in Washington would be great places to look.

Kate, thank you. That is exactly the information I have been looking for. I haven't used Zillow yet, but have been searching on Realtor.com and have been leaning towards north of Spokane, due to affordability. I have seen several listings in Nine Mile Falls that looked interesting. Seems to have an interesting history as well with the Spokane House trading post being one of the first white settlements in the area. Although it is already on contingency, I am looking for something like this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 5713-46731

Seems very affordable for a decent house on 60 acres for $229K. From looking at the satellite maps, the property may not be ideal - but it is along the lines of what I am looking for. It seems this area may be in the right price range and is closer to Spokane than what we would have thought possible for the lot size and price.

Thank you for the warning about flooding in low lying areas. That is the useful information that I wouldn't be able to gather from just looking on a map. Anything else to be aware of north of Spokane (like reactors or anything else to avoid)?

I haven't joined NF yet, and guess that is my next step. I will probably plan on taking a trip up there, maybe sometime in fall. It would be great, while there, to perhaps meet some others who are involved with NF in the Spokane area. What would be the best method to arrange something like that. For the move, we will have to wait for a transfer to open up - but will also be looking for other employment options at the same time. It would be nice to already have contacts/friends in the area before we even get out there. Its funny, but until very recently we were debating heading back to New England (that is where extended family are). After learning about NF, it has changed my outlook. TX was supposed to be a stopping point on the way out further west, but we kind of settled in here, despite knowing that it would most likely not be permanent. In a way, heading out to the Northwest, would allow us to complete what we originally set out to do.

To be honest, I had thought about a Northwest migration for a long time (and was unfortunately sidetracked exploring other avenues), but have really only found this site and the podcasts very recently. Right now I am trying to listen to all of the podcasts from 2012 (I am currently in May 2012 right now), and will then go back to 2010 and 2011. The urgency in the podcasts have me hoping that I haven't already waited too long.
FreeMyLand

Postby Rudel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Dude this is getting stupid. You need to fly to Spokane and then just drive around the area for a few days checking real estate prices on small farms/ranches. You can explore the tax situation and real estate offerings online right now There will not be a whole lot of difference between the neighbors you will find in either Idaho or Washington. Everybody is white except for the Mexicans which you will find in both states. Personally, if you are going to be working in Spokane you will have a shorter commute in Washington. Once you get out of the city limits it's pretty rural all around. Pullman is a stupidly long commute and on top of that it's a college town.
Rudel

Postby FreeMyLand » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 am

Rudel wrote:Dude this is getting stupid. You need to fly to Spokane and then just drive around the area for a few days checking real estate prices on small farms/ranches. You can explore the tax situation and real estate offerings online right now There will not be a whole lot of difference between the neighbors you will find in either Idaho or Washington. Everybody is white except for the Mexicans which you will find in both states. Personally, if you are going to be working in Spokane you will have a shorter commute in Washington. Once you get out of the city limits it's pretty rural all around. Pullman is a stupidly long commute and on top of that it's a college town.

Thank you for your response. I didn't think 'this is getting stupid' because I honestly thought I would have been told to not look in eastern Washington, and instead concentrate on looking in western Idaho since there are many locations that are commutable to Spokane. I now see that this isn't necessarily the case. I don't plan on flying (never even consider it anymore), and will instead be driving when I come in the fall.

My intentions on this thread was to get some feedback from others in the area, so that I can be sure that I will be focusing on a good location. My goal was to enable me to utilize my time efficiently when I visited, instead of randomly driving around. The geographical area that I am looking in is very large, and I was just looking to get some useful input. The same kind of feedback I would be able to give if someone was looking to move to one of the areas I lived in or had lived in the past.

One last question, not necessarily related to the original post. Is there a section on the forum that is suited to discussing the ins and outs of making the actual move? I have a lot of equipment and supplies and figure that possibly getting storage and trailering belongings up in multiple trips will probably be the best solution. I am also going to look into networking with some livestock associations to see if there is someplace that I can 'park' my farm equipment and some livestock between the time we sell our place down here in TX and purchase a new place in the Spokane area. From listening on the podcasts, it seems like the recommended course of action is to get rid of belongings and then make the move. That is probably not how we will end up doing it. I can't imagine selling everything and then having to repurchase again once we arrive, at least not the necessities. Unfortunately we have a lot more than when we made the move from New England to TX (but now also have a better means of transporting everything). Hopefully someone else has also made the migration the more difficult way.

Thanks again.
FreeMyLand

Postby MAC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Actually this topic as a whole should be in the WA or ID sections or in the general section since it's not really about the NF itself, which this section is intended for. The idea of selling off personal property is more geared toward those who don't have family and business/farm to relocate but rather for the individual who doesn't have a lot but more than what they can move in one go efficiently or economically.

When I moved up here I didn't actually ditch my stuff but rather rented storage back in NM to hold what my truck couldn't. A few years later when I could afford the trip down I went and picked it up. It cost me $20 a month but it was something I was willing to do. In fact I had saved up a years worth of payments and paid in advance so that I knew that I could take a year to get myself settled in.

As far as locations in ID close to Spokane I don't know of anyone here that is in that area so I don't think you'll get a lot of response about ID. I do know that once you get a few miles into ID it starts getting mountainous so there may not be very many good options there. Check sites like Zillow around the Couer d'Alene area or Post Falls as they are the two largest towns in ID that are close to Spokane.

I'm going to move this to the WA section since you're talking about getting close to Spokane.
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
MAC
Site Admin

Postby MAC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm

As far as tips and help with general moving you can either discuss it here or start a new thread in the General section.
MAC
Site Admin

Next

Return to Washington